A Bush Home c1906. Florence Jane Hayward.
Florence Jane Hayward

A Bush Home c1906

Oil on canvas
54.5 x 97.7 cm
Signed
Provenance: Joseph Ackeroyd, South Yarra: by decent to Margaret Mace, Frankston


Possibly exhibited in the Annual Exhibition, Victorian Artists’ Society, 1906, no. 80 as 
A Bush Home Healesville


Florence Jane Hayward (nee Pickering) was born in Bulleen to Arthur Joseph Pickering (1835-1914) and Ann Pickering (nee Rosier). She had a sister, Ada Eliza (later Harker).  Her father was the vicar of St. John’s Diamond Creek (1874-1880),  and  St. John’s Anglican Church, Heidelberg from 1879-? 


 


According to Alan McCulloch’s  Encyclopedia of Australian Art, she studied in Heidelberg with Walter Withers. She exhibited at the Victorian Academy of Arts in 1885 under the name ‘Miss F. J. Pickering’ and as ‘Mrs F. Hayward’ at the Victorian Artists’ Society from 1898 to 1906. “Her subjects (in oils) include landscapes of Heidelberg and Healesville as well as portraits and still-life. In her later work the influence of Withers can be clearly seen in both tonality and brushwork.” (p. 330)


 


On 1 January 1890 she was married by the Lord Bishop of Melbourne, assisted by her father, to John Lister Hayward at St. John’s Heidelberg, where she had been the organist for the previous 11 years, c1879-1890. Refer article below


 


Heidelberg. — On New Year's Eve several members of St. John's Vestry, Heidelberg, on behalf of the parishioners and vestry, presented Miss Pickering with a purse of sovereigns as a grateful and appreciative recognition of her voluntary services as organist of the Parish Church during the past eleven years, and with their best wishes for her future happiness in married life, on which she was about to enter. A large number of valuable and useful articles were also given by the parishioners and other friends as expressions of the high esteem in which Miss Pickering was held by all classes of the community. Her marriage with Mr. John Lister Hayward was celebrated by the Lord Bishop of Melbourne, in St. John's, Heidelberg, on New Year's Day. The Church was beautifully decorated, and the sacred edifice was filled to overflowing by the congregation. The service, which commenced with Hymn 350, A. and M., was partly choral. The Bishop and Mrs. Goe remained for some time after the ceremony, much to the delight of the parishioners and others who were present on the occasion.  Refer The Church of England Messenger for Victoria and Ecclesiastical Gazette for the Diocese of Melbourne (Vic. : 1889 - 1905) Fri 7 Feb 1890 


We are grateful to Marina Loane for her help in researching this artist


 

Item #4528

Sold

See all items by